Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Laughter, After

Laughter, After
(On "Faith Healing")

One can hear the phrase "Faith Healing" as the healing of wounded faith (as in: faith, healing). Or as the way faith, like nothing else, heals. I guess that it does. This way: I sit on a porch and I stare at the ocean, believing that this is time well spent. I understand our whole lives together hover above a small area of the Pacific and I stare. I listen to the family of quail looking for food on our porches, and it is literally a family: mother, father, and a very spotted baby. I am giving myself time, on a Sunday, a day you left, and have none left of. I trust that this is what I need and I listen to the quail, and I hear you say, about the baby: That. Is. So. Cute. And I am grateful for your voice in my ears. So my faith gives me gratitude which leads me to tears of what can only be called joy. So it has happened again: faith led to time led to gratitude led to tears led to joy. I am not past-tense healed, but I am healing. You are healing. Me. Despite the paradox. I bless you for being the wound and the salve simultaneously. Render and mender. Woe-er and Sew-er/Sower. Tearful and cheerful. Latitude/gratitude. Attitude/platitude. Food chewed. Mood-lewd. Quail-wail. Laughter, After. You are cracking me up, and I am back to real joy, and if I weren't writing these words in a roomful of people there'd be real tears, too.

1 comment:

  1. Funny. When you left with Kathy this afternoon, I thought of coming here and wondered if you had posted something new.
    I remember years ago, when we were fairly new, trying to track down that word "cute" you used with so much frequency, and love, about so many things. It drove me a little crazy, seemed silly to my ear. It seemed no less silly hearing it come out of Jamie, but there was some way she had with it--a kind of voice depth, or lower toned vocal cord--that gave the word some kind of tremelo or something.
    Thanks for reminding me of that way she had of singing, and the way it affected, infected, provided for others.

    ReplyDelete